Pilates is a wonderful mind and body-conditioning programme, recruiting both your body and mind simultaneously to garner positive results.
How it helps to condition your body:
You don’t need any equipment in order to strengthen your body. You can simply use your own body weight to create resistance for your muscles and to tone up. Which truly does mean that your workout will be only as effective as the effort you put into the exercises. Strength begins with a determination to achieve the best. Over time, you will see your muscles gaining tone and looking sculpted, but you’ll also feel much stronger and more energized.
Pilates strengthens the whole body, targeting each muscle group evenly with a mixture of dynamic and static strength training. No body part is neglected. You also work on all planes of movement – sitting, lying, standing. This means that the muscles are worked from many different directions, producing a uniform and very deep strength and tone, even without using heavy weights.
Key Benefits for the body:
• You are less likely to suffer from muscular and joint aches and pains or to injure yourself because your balance and the way you carry yourself will improve.
• You rev up your metabolism by building muscle so that even when not exercising your stronger body burns more calories.
• Strength leads to greater health: by committing to a Pilates way of life, you will lower your blood pressure and reduce your cholesterol levels.
• Pilates builds strength from the inside out, from your deep core muscles, so that they support your body effectively in movement, and outwards to the limbs.
• Reduced tension and strain in the body results from a strong core, which will also allow your muscles to be free to work with an intensity that will create great results.
How it conditions your mind:
Pilates builds endurance within individual exercises and also within workouts. Focus on improving your concentration to build strength for both – endurance comes first from mental strength and therefore requires determination and persistence. Visualize your success and becoming stronger, and stay strong through challenging exercises.
Key Benefits for the mind:
• Stress management & relaxation
• Improving memory and brain training
• The use of breath for mindful movement
• Releases endorphins, which naturally cause the body and mind to feel more relaxed and positive
• Your sleep will improve with regular Pilates, which will greatly reduce any fatigue and stress
•You will feel energized and invigorated, because Pilates forces you to focus on the present moment and the movement you are performing, to the exclusion of your everyday preoccupations and stresses.